Wednesday, January 17, 2007

MBA Recruiting

As I alluded to in my first post, I am taking part in the circus show known as MBA recruiting. It's one big show and dance (from both sides). I've been surprised that some of the companies I've talked to are actually appealing. Yet there is a little voice in my head that keeps saying, "Be veerrrryyy afraid...don't be persuaded by the free food and driiiiinnkkks." Don't worry, though. My goal is to find a great startup that has a need for an MBA intern over the summer. Unfortunately, those startups are hard to come by.

Originally, my plan was to work on a business idea full-time for the summer. But I've been getting advice from experienced entrepreneurs to start something on the side while I make some pay (and hopefully build my network). I guess it makes sense, unless my idea really requires my undevoted attention for the entire summer. Luckily, as I draw out my business plans, it does not.

I also would like to make a plug for Northwestern's student entrepreneurship organization, InNUvation. I am part of the leadership team that is putting together the university's first entrepreneurship competition: the 2007 NU Venture Challenge. Things are coming along really great and I have a feeling there will be some great ideas coming out of the competition (like mine).

No comments: